Wednesday, December 3, 2014

WORKING THROUGH NORTHOUSE READING (CHAPTERS 3-4)

Chapter 3
1.     Read the Case Study on p. 59. Answer questions 1-4.
a.    Mary’s leadership style at the beginning of the case study most closely resembles that of an Authoritarian leader and demonstrates the assumptions of McGregor’s Theory X. The three assumptions of Theory X states, The average person dislikes work and will avoid it if possible, people need to be direct and controlled, and the average person prefers to be directed, wishes to avoid responsibility, has little ambition, and wants to security more than choice. Similarly authoritative leaders believe that their subordinates are in need of direction and seek to control them. Mary’s authoritative style of leadership and controlling attitude lead to poor performance of the newspaper staff. Several staff members left, deadlines passed without completion, and several glaring mistakes were published in the final copy.
b.    A laissez-faire leadership style is described as divergent from both Theory X and Theory Y. This leadership style has been labeled as “nonleadership” as they choose to ignore workers and their motivations; this form of leader employs minimal influence over their subordinates. Mary demonstrates that she is not a laissez-faire leader by her direct control in the first half of the study and by her interest in the motivations and goals of her subordinates in the second half. Direct examples of her antithesis of laissez-faire leadership include: setting strict deadlines, publicly assigning blame for errors, making important decisions without the consultation of her subordinates, expressing interest in the goals of her staff members, and asking for advice on her management style.
c.     Mary changed her leadership style from an authoritative to a more Democratic Style, which embraces the assumptions of Theory Y. Mary looked for advice from her subordinates on how she could better run the newspaper, rather than enacting dictator like edicts. She sat down with each member of the team and determined how to best achieve each person’s goals. This change in leadership style allowed the newspaper to regain its automation and ultimately its recognition as “College Newspaper of the Year.”      
d.    If I were to instruct Mary on her leadership I would explain to her how important it is to have a Democratic and moderate leadership style similar to what she employs now. Drifting to far towards either Authoritative or Laissez-Faire would cause a major decrease in efficiency comparable to what she experience when she first took over as Editor in Chief.
2.     Complete the questionnaire on p. 63. Write down your scores. What are your results?
a.    Authoritarian Leadership-15 Low
b.    Democratic Leadership-24 High
c.     Laissez-Faire Leadership-16 Moderate
3.     Complete 3.3 Action question 2.
a.    I am very comfortable in my Democratic Leadership style as it is a moderation of both Authoritarian and Laissez-Faire; however I feel that I could decrease my score of the Laissez-Faire style by enacting stronger, yet encouraging, systems that would spur increased performance in my subordinates.
Chapter 4
1.     Complete 4.3 Reflection questions 1, 2, and 3.
a.    In terms of my own style, I am more task than relationship oriented. I place a high priority on the accomplishment of tasks often utilizing checklist, priority sheets, and reminders to ensure that assignments are completed in a timely fashion. I often demonstrate a “by all means necessary” attitude when it comes to accomplishing my goals; however this demonstrates a severe weakness in my empathy for others in my decision-making.
b.    I am extremely biased towards task leadership and demonstrate many of the characteristics of a results oriented leader. This bias causes me to disregard the importance of relationships in pursuit of my goals. 
c.     I see the integration of task and relationship behaviors as a large obstacle in my personal leadership development. In order to integrate task and relationships in my leadership style I must first understand that relationships are essential in accomplishing tasks or goals. It relates back to the old adage of "Getting more bees with honey than vinegar."

No comments:

Post a Comment