Wednesday, December 3, 2014

WORKING THROUGH NORTHOUSE READING (CHAPTERS 1-2)

Chapter 1
1.     Complete the conceptualizing leadership questionnaire. List from largest to smallest, your scores and corresponding categories.
a.    Trait emphasis-17
b.    Relationship emphasis-16
c.     Skill emphasis-16
d.    Process emphasis-15
e.    Behavior emphasis-14
f.      Ability emphasis-13
2.     Answer the three reflection questions on page 14.
a.    I have a great variety of leaders, some excellent some mediocre, over the course of my lifetime. Leaders can be found in every aspect of society, from football coaches to employment supervisors. Leaders can also be found when one is not expected, such as the case of a student stepping up to ensure the completion of a group assignment. My personal view is that leadership entails the management, guidance, inspiration, and assistance to a group of individuals in pursuit of individual or collective goals. 
b.    The scores of the leadership questionnaire suggest that I emphasize the role of the leader while additionally placing importance on the communication between leaders and subordinates. I would tend to agree with the trait emphasis and relationship emphasis and most dissent from the skill and process emphasis.
c.     I believe that leadership is an inherent ability and cannot be learned or taught. I have worked along alongside individuals who have had natural leadership abilities as well as reported to individuals who lacked any leadership qualities and instead were placed in supervisory positions based on performance or seniority.   

Chapter 2
1.     Complete 2.2 Observational Exercise.
a.    George Washington-integrity, determination, charisma 
b.    Harriet Tubman-determination, charisma, confidence
c.     Eleanor Roosevelt-integrity, intelligence, sociability
d.    Winston Churchill-charisma, intelligence, sociability
e.    Mother Teresa-determined, integrity, confidence
f.      Nelson Mandela-integrity, determined, charisma
g.     Bill Gates-intelligence, confidence, integrity
h.    Oprah Winfrey-charisma, confidence, sociability
2.     List the six key traits discussed in this chapter. Which 2 do you feel you are strong in? Why? Which 2 do you feel you are weak in? Why?
a.    Charisma
b.    Confidence
c.     Determination
d.    Integrity
e.    Intelligence
f.      Sociability
g.     I feel that I am the strongest in Determination and Integrity, while weakest in charisma and confidence. I demonstrate determination constantly by always working to achieve my goals, whether they are career, academic or personal focused. I have learned over the years that honesty and trustworthiness are two critical traits that are required in order to enter my chosen career field of law enforcement. Once again exemplifying determination I have worked to make sure that I do not damage my integrity in anyway. While I am determined in achieving my goals, my confidence in doing so is not always at its highest level. Sometimes I feel as though I am not able to overcome a particular situation resulting from placing doubt in my skills and abilities. I have been informed over the years that I am not an exciting or cheerful person to be around and therefore lack charisma. I often am told that I appear to be in a bad mood or appear as something is bothering me even when that is not the case.
3.     Complete 2.3 Action Question 1.
a.    If I were to incorporate traits of leadership from a historical figure into my style of leadership I would choose to model myself after Bill Gates. I feel as though his high degree of intelligence helps to elevate his own self-confidence, promoting confidence throughout his organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment